3
0

http://www.fieldandstream.com/make-an-unbeatable-bass-lure-for-next-to-nothing

A. I saw this lure in an online Field & Stream article posted here on Bootleg Outdoors and found it interesting. It wasn’t as cheap as I thought it would be since I needed to purchase basically everything. I didn’t really care so much about the cost, it was more about the experience and challenge of if I could do it or not. I’m an in and out shopper and that could be part of the issue with the expenses. I purchased more than I needed, but have it for the next batch I make.  For ten lures I probably spent around $80, but again I didn’t look for deals.
B. I purchased 5ft of 1/2″ copper tubing, drillbits, painter’s tape, black spray paint, clear coat and sand paper at Lowe’s. I got the hooks, sinkers, rings, glitter, eyes and super glue from Walmart. Menards is where I found the cork pieces which weren’t called for in the article.  I figured the cork would help with buoyancy and trap the sinkers inside to make noise. I didn’t follow the directions in the article completely. For example, I skipped adding eyes, and I decided to apply glitter.
C. I cut the tubing into 2.5-3″ pieces and ground down the front of each piece to a nearly 45 degree angle; using a pipe cutter and a grinder I borrowed from my dad.  He also cut and ground down a couple on my visit to him. Drilled out the holes at the front and back for the rings. I sanded down the rough edges using medium and fine sand paper. Attached the front rings prior to painting. I realized later that I could have just used the holes that I had drilled to hang the lures for painting/drying.
D. I plugged the back end with cork, using a bit of glue to make sure it doesn’t move. Before corking the mouth of the lure I dropped 4-5 BBs inside for a rattle instead of using sinkers. I chose the BBs because I thought they would be louder and lighter than sinkers.

E. Taped off the lower portion (the belly) for painting. I then poked holes in a box so I could hang the lures off of some fishing line for painting. I then painted the top black. After the first coat dried I shot the lures with clear coat and sprinkled glitter all over the lures before the clear dried. I sprayed 7 or 8 coats of clear in an attempt to make the lures as smooth as possible and completely seal the glitter.

F. I had to bore out the holes again, because they were covered with clear coat, and attached rings to the back of the lures, as well as hooks. I’m planning on making more lures, but this time I’m going to use PVC pipe in hopes of making it more buoyant. The copper lures are way too heavy to float, but PVC might. It will be really special the first time I catch something on one of these. I just hope I don’t mess up tying the line and throw one off.

Update: Surprisingly the lures don’t run along the bottom but come to within two feet of the surface.  They’re quite heavy so make sure you have plenty of line on your reel when casting.

I did purchase 5ft of 1/2″ PVC and 18 gauge wire for my next project and to make a few of these lures, less than $8 all in with everything I have left over.